Back to childrens bible stories
Jesus and the Palsied Man
Click here for Coloring Page
One day Jesus went to Capernaum and pretty soon everyone learned that Jesus was in the house, and so many, many people gathered to listen to him. Pretty soon there were so many people that the house was filled, and there was no room for any more people inside the house, and Jesus preached to them.
But some men came carrying one sick with the palsy, who could not walk on his own, and four men carried him upon a bed. And when they found that they could not come into the house where Jesus was, they carried the sick man up onto the roof of the house, and broke up the roof, and let down the bed where the sick man lay, so much did they want him to be with the Lord Jesus.
And so when the Lord Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man sick of the palsy, "Son, your sins be forgiven you."
But there were certain people sitting there, and thinking to themselves, why does this man speak blasphemies? who can forgive sin but God only? And immediately when Jesus knew that they were thinking these things in their hearts, he said to them "Why do you think these things in your hearts? Is it easier to say to the one sick of the palsy, your sins be forgiven you, or to say Rise, and take up your bed and walk? But so that you may know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins, (he said to the man sick of the palsy) I say unto you, Arise, and take up your bed and go your way into your house." The Lord Jesus knew what the people were thinking in their hearts, just as he knows what we are also thinking in our hearts.
And immediately the man rose up before them, and took up his bed, and went to his own house, glorifying God. And all the people who saw it were amazed, and they glorified God, and were filled with fear, saying, We have seen strange things today.
Memory verse: Mark 2:10 "But that you may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins..."
1. Why were there so many people in the house?
2. What did the men do that had brought the sick man?
3. Why did they do this?
4. What did the Lord Jesus say to the sick man first?
5. What were some of the people thinking?
6. How did Jesus know what they were thinking?
1. Because they heard that Jesus was there and they wanted to hear him.
2. They took him up to the roof and broke it apart and lowered him down to Jesus.
3. Because they had faith that Jesus could heal him.
4. He said Son, your sins are forgiven you
5. They were thinking that Jesus was speaking blasphemy because only God could forgive sin and they didn't believe that Jesus was God.
6. Because Jesus is God and he knows everything we are thinking.
Vicki C. Gross/Aug'02