Back to childrens bible stories
Jesus and Zaccaeus
Luke 19: 1-10
Click here for Coloring Page
One day the Lord Jesus entered the town of Jericho and was passing through, and there was a man named Zacchaeus, who was rich. Now Zacchaeus wanted very much to see the Lord Jesus, but he was a very little man and could not see him for all the people who were there.
And so Zacchaeus ran, and climbed up into a sycamore tree to see Jesus, for he knew that Jesus was to pass by that way.
And when Jesus came to the tree where Zacchaeus was, he looked up, and saw him, and said to him, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for today I must stay at your house." Zacchaeus was very happy, and he hurried out of the tree, and took Jesus to his house.
And when all the people saw it, they all talked among themselves saying that Jesus was to be a guest with a man that is a sinner. They didn't understand that the Lord Jesus came to save sinners, and that, in the eyes of God, they were sinners too.
And Jesus said to him, "Today is salvation come to this house, for the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which is lost".
And after that, the Lord Jesus went to Jerusalem.
Luke 19:10 "For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
1. Why did Zacchaeus climb the tree?
2. What did the Lord Jesus say to him when he saw him?
3. What did the crowd of people say?
4. What did the Lord Jesus say to Zacchaeus at his house?
1. Because he wanted to see Jesus and he was very small, and there were many people.
2. He said "Zacchaeus hurry and come down, today I must stay at your house."
3. They said that Jesus was to be a guest with a man who was a sinner.
4. He said "Today is salvation come to this house. For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
Vicki C. Gross/Sept.'02