back to childrens bible stories
Jesus Raises Jairus' Daughter
Click here for Coloring Page
One day, many people came to see Jesus, and one of the rulers of the synagogue, named Jairus, came to him and fell at his feet, and begged him saying "My little daughter lies at the point of death; I pray you come and lay your hands on her, that she may be healed." Truly Jairus believed that Jesus had power to do these things.
And as they walked along, a woman who had been sick for twelve years was healed, because she believed that if she only touched his clothes she would be healed. When she told Jesus that she had touched him, he said "Daughter, your faith has made you whole; go in peace," This woman believed in Jesus also.
And so while Jesus was speaking to the woman, someone came from Jairus' house and said to Jairus "your daughter is dead: why bother the Master anymore?"
As soon as Jesus heard that the little girl was dead, he said to Jairus, "Be not afraid, only believe." And he would not let anyone follow him except Peter, James, and John, (these were some of Jesus' disciples.)
And Jesus came to Jairus' house, and saw all the people there were crying. And when he came in, he said to them "Why are you crying and making all this noise? The little girl is not dead, but is sleeping."
And the people in the house laughed at him very much, they did not believe Jesus. So Jesus put them all out of the house, and took the little girl's father and mother, and Peter, James and John, and entered in where the little girl was lying. And Jesus took the child by the hand and said to her "Damsel, I say to you, arise!"
And immediately the child got up and walked; and she was twelve years old. And those that were in the room were amazed at what had happened.
And Jesus told them that no one should know what he had done, that he had raised the child, and he commanded that something should be given to her to eat.
And after that Jesus went out and returned to his own country, and his disciples went with him.
Memory Verse: Mark 5:36 "....Be not afraid, only believe."
1. Why did Jairus come to Jesus?
2. Who was healed by Jesus on the way to Jairus house?
3. Why did the people at the house laugh at Jesus?
4. What did Jesus say to the little girl?
5. What did Jesus tell her parents?
1. Because his little daughter was almost at the point of death.
2. A woman who had been sick for twelve years.
3. Because they did not believe them when he told them the little girl was sleeping.
4. He said "Damsel, I say to you arise."
5. He said that they should not tell anyone what he had done, and that they should give her something to eat.
Vicki C. Gross/Sept'02
Back to Stories