return to childrens bible stories
Jesus and the
Marriage (Wedding) in Cana.
Click here for Coloring Page
One day there was a marriage in a place called Cana. Mary, the mother of Jesus was there, and both Jesus, and his disciples were called to the marriage.
When they needed wine, the mother of Jesus said to him "They have no wine." Jesus answered her and said "Woman (he never called her mother, but always woman) why are you asking me this? It is not yet time for me." But his mother said to the servants, "Whatever he says to you, do it!"
And there were six waterpots made of stone, which contained 20 to 30 gallons each which the Jews used to wash themselves in order to purify themselves, which was their custom,
Jesus said to them, "Fill the waterpots with water." And they filled them up to the brim, (that is the top). And he said "Pour it out now, and carry to the governor of the feast." And they poured it.
When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, and said to him "Every man at the beginning sets forth good wine, and when every man has drunk a lot, then he sets out wine which is not as good: but you have kept the good wine until now."
This first miracle Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and his disciples believed on him that Jesus was the Son of God.
Memory verse: .....whatsoever he saith unto you, do it. (John 2:5)
1. Who were among the guests invited to the marriage?
2. What did Mary say to Jesus?
3. What was Jesus reply?
4. What did Mary say to the servants?
5. What did Jesus tell the servants to do?
6. When do you think the water turned to wine?
7. Why do you think the disciples were at the wedding as well?
1. Mary, the mother of Jesus; the Lord Jesus and his disciples.
2. They have no wine.
3. Woman, why are you asking me this, it is not yet time for me.
4. Whatever he says to you, do it.
5. Fill the waterpots with water.
6. It could be while it was in the pots, it could be when the servants poured it out, or it could be as they were carrying it to the feast.
7. So that they could see this miracle that Jesus did, which showed that he was God, because only God could do miracles.
Back to Stories