return to childrens bible stories
Click here for Coloring Page
In our previous story, we learned how Samson lost his great strength and was put in prison by the Philistines. But after a time, his hair began to grow again.
And the Philistines gathered together to have a big celebration, because they said that their god had delivered Samson into their hands. And when all the people saw Samson, they praised their god, but their god was not the holy God of Israel, the creator of the world.
And they asked for Samson to be brought to them, so that they could make fun of him, and so Samson was brought and tied between two pillars. And Samson asked the person who held him if he would let Samson feel the pillars that the house stood on, so that he could lean on them. Now the house was full of men and women, and all the leaders were there, and there were about 3,000 men and women there.
And Samson called on the LORD, and said "O Lord God, remember me I pray, and strengthen me only this once O God, that I may be avenged." And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars which the house stood on, and which carried it, one with his left hand, and one with his right hand. And he said "Let me die with the Philistines". And he bowed himself with all his might, and the house fell upon all the people that were in it..so the number of people Samson killed at his death was more than all those that he had slain in his life.
Then his brothers and all those in the house of his father came and took him, and buried him.
Memory Verse: Judges 16:28 "And Samson called unto the LORD, and said "O Lord God, remember me I pray, and strengthen me only this once O God."
1. Why did the people have a big celebration?
2. Why did they want to have Samson brought to them?
3. What did Samson ask the person who held him to do for him?
4. What did Samson ask the LORD to do?
5. What did Samson do after he prayed?
1. Because they thought that their god had delivered Samson into their hands.
2. Because they wanted to make fun of him.
3. He asked if he could feel the pillars so he could lean on them.
4. He asked the LORD to strengthen him so he could be avenged.
5. He leaned against the pillars and they fell and all the people were killed.
Vicki C. Gross/Oct'02
Back to Stories